To send mail in bulk or add in another email client, you need to export gmail contacts in different formats. In 2019, the interface has changed a bit. In the same way, if you are changing from Outlook, you need to import contacts to Gmail.
The process is very simple. To download contacts from Gmail, you just need to click the import or export buttons. Then you can export/import your contacts in different formats like Google CSV, Outlook CSV and vCard.
To export/import contacts from phone to Gmail, you can use the .vcf format file. Otherwise, you can just add your Google account in your phone. Then all your contacts will get synced to your mobile device.
The tutorials on the internet are little obsolete.
The following tutorial will show how to import/export contacts from Gmail in a few steps in different file formats.
How to Export Contacts from Gmail
1. Login to your Gmail account.
2. Click on the 9 dot square icon which indicates Google Apps.
3. Scroll through the apps, until you find the “Contacts” app.
4. Click on it.
5. Another page opens related to Contacts. Otherwise, you can enter “contacts.google.com” in the address bar.
6. On the left-hand side you will see different items like Contacts, Frequently contacted, Duplicates, Labels etc.
7. Click on the “More” item
8. You can see two options here – 1. Import 2. Export
9. When you click “Export”, a small pop-up opens.
10. You can export selected contacts or all contacts or contacts in a particular list.
11. You can export them in Google CSV, Outlook CSV and vCard (for iOS Contacts) formats.
The above feature can be used to download contacts from Gmail as well. If you are changing to iPhone this will help to import your friends email addresses, without typing manually. Changing from one Gmail account to another, will also require to export and import contact into the new account.
Where are Contacts in Gmail 2019
Just type in contacts.google.com on the address bar after sign-in into Gmail or Google account. All your contacts will be visible. You can import and export them in different formats.
It will save in the desired format as a file. For example, the Google CSV file format will contain information like –
b. Given Name
c. Additional Name
d. Family Name
e. Yomi Name
f. Maiden Name
j. Group Membership
k. E-mail 1 – Type
l. E-mail 1 – Value
m. Phone 1 – Type
n. Phone 1 – Value
and many other details.
To import Gmail contacts follow these steps.
1. Click on the Import item. Another pop-up opens
2. To import contacts select a CSV or vCard file, using “Select file”.
To import contacts from another Gmail account, just export those contacts in Google CSV format. Then select that file and click Import.
But you may face some problems during import of contacts. This is because of certain limitations.
1. You cannot import more than 3000 contacts at a time.
2. You need to split the contacts into multiple CSVs, if the contacts are more than 3000.
3. At the maximum, you can import 25000 contacts.
4. You have to select the right file format. It should be either vCard or CSV file.
How to Export Contacts from Gmail to Phone (Android or iOS)
It is very easy to import contacts from gmail to phone. You just have to add your Google account in your phone. All your contacts from gmail will be synced to your Android or iPhone.
To test this feature, I have taken two Google accounts.
1. <firstname.lastname@example.org> – (1)
2. <email@example.com> – (2)
My Redmi Note 4 phone has (1) Google Account with 480 contacts.
How to Export Phone (Android) Contacts to Gmail (Desktop)
To upload phone contacts to Gmail, the settings are different based upon your mobile device. For Samsung devices, the settings will be different. I’m using Android 7.0.
The following is the manual method.
1. Tap the Contacts app icon on the phone.
2. On the Contacts tab, you should see 3 vertical dots.
3. Tap it.
4. Import/Export contacts is visible.
5. Export to storage.
6. The contact list will be saved in .vcf format on your phone storage.
7. Open File Manager to view the stored file. It will be in the root directory or any other directory you have given.
10. Click on Import Contacts or Import label on the left-hand side.
Import Contacts from Gmail (Desktop) to Phone (Android)
Let’s say that you are using Android phone. I’m using Redmi Note 4. To transfer contacts from gmail to phone, do the following steps.
1. Open the Contacts app in Gmail or type contacts.google.com, after log in to Gmail account.
2. On the left-hand side, click the Export button.
3. You can select all the contacts or a particular group.
4. Export as vCard, which works for both iOS and Android contacts.
5. Send the file to your phone.
6. Tap the contacts in your phone.
7. Tap the vertical 3 dots and select Import/Export contacts
8. Click on “Import from storage”.
9. Select the Gmail or any other account into which you want to import your contacts.
10. The .vcf file will be automatiaclly searched.
11. Select the right .vcf file and click OK.
12. Your contacts from Gmail should upload to your phone.
How to Import/Export Contacts from Gmail to Phone
This is the automatic method of doing the same job as above.
1. Open the Google App on your Android.
2. Tap the Person icon at the top.
3. Then tap on “Add another account”.
4. Enter the Gmail account you want to import/export contacts from/to Gmail to/from phone.
5. You need to enter the username and password to activate your credentials.
6. Then click on “Manage accounts on this device”.7. On the next screen, you can see “Sync”.
8. Enable it.
If you want to manually sync it,
9. Select “Google”, when you scroll down that screen.
10. Your Gmail accounts on the phone device are visible.
11. Tap on the “More” item.
12. Tap on “Sync now”.
This should manually sync your phone contacts across all Gmail accounts.