Google One is the new revamped version of Google Drive which has many more features. You can get Rs 300 of Google Play credit to buy games, apps etc. Google One is a mix of three things mainly – Gmail, Photos and Google Drive. In addition to that you have extra benefits.
Though Google One and Google Drive are similar in meaning, they have a few differences. If you already have Google Drive paid storage plan, you are automatically upgraded to the new Google One plan.
Google One Benefits
- Google Drive is a storage service, while Google One is a subscription offering custom services.
- You get extra storage with Google One.
- 100 GB is the minimum storage you get with Google One.
- You can store high resolution photos in Google Photos as more storage is available.
- Storage plan can be changed upon your requirement.
- Usage with Google Drive does not change anything. So you will not loose anything in your existing Google Drive account.
- Call or chat with Google experts regarding its products and services.
- In addition to that, when you search for Hotels etc in Google Search, you will get up to 40% off.
- As a free Google One user, you can back up data on your Android phone.
- Free up space in your Google Drive account using storage manager.
- Unlock additional features like expanded cloud storage.
- Share Google One with up to 5 additional family members + you = Total 6.
- Family groups can be created.
- You can add or remove members with Google One subscription.
- Share Google One plan with the rest of your family members.
- You can keep your files private even when you are part of Family Group. Privacy is maintained.
- All family members can get support from Google Experts.
- Share your Google One subscription for FREE with your family members.
- Member benefits vary by country.
- Google One is available in several countries. – https://support.google.com/googleone/answer/9080668
- Recover accidentally deleted files using chat with Google Experts or Google Trained people.
- On Android, using Google One app, you can back up your photos, videos, contacts, messages, notes, and more.
- Manage your storage plan on desktop and Android.
Google One Pricing – Different plans
As a Google user, each individual account gets 15GB of free storage. In addition to that you can buy additional plans. The basic plan starts at Rs 130/month or Rs 1300/year for 100 GB of storage.
If you think, you are not sure about the annual plan, where there is Rs 260 in savings, you can take monthly plan instead. Then after 1 month you can upgrade to yearly plan.
In the US, consumers on the 100GB Google Drive storage plan will continue to pay a monthly charge of $1.99 (roughly Rs. 143) after moving to Google One. However, consumers with the newly designed 200GB storage plan need to pay $2.99 per month.
Google is also shifting consumers using the 1TB plan to 2TB storage offering at $9.99. Likewise, 10TB cloud storage access comes at a monthly charge of $99.99 (roughly Rs. 7,211), whereas 20TB storage comes at $199.99 (roughly Rs. 14,400) and the top-most, 30TB storage is available at $299.99 (roughly Rs. 21,600) per month.
Pricing Plans of Google One in India
In India, there are 6 different plans
- 100 GB – Rs 130/month
- 200 GB – Rs 210/month
- 2 TB – Rs 650/month
- 10 TB – Rs 6500/month
- 20 TB – Rs 13000/month
- 30 TB – Rs 19500 / month
In addition to that you get extra benefits like
- Access to Google experts
- Option to add your family
- Extra member benefits
The following will count towards your storage.
- Gmail – Messages and attachments, including items in your Spam and Trash folders
- Google Drive – Most files in your “My Drive” including images, videos, raw data files etc. Items in your Trash. But Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms and Sites will not be counted towards your storage.
- Google Photos – If the photos and videos stored are of “Original” size, they will be part of Google Drive. But if they are of “High” quality, then its unlimited storage.
Google One Settings
When you click on the gear icon on the top right-hand side corner, you can see the following.
- Manage email preferences
- Manage family settings
- Change payment method
- Change storage plan
- Cancel membership
When you click the first option, you will get notification emails about the following.
a. News and feature updates
b. Benefits and offers
c. Research and surveys
The Google One plan can be shared among 6 members of the family (which includes yourself, the account holder).
By default each family member will get 15 GB of storage for each person. In addition to that the remaining Google One paid storage can be shared between the remaining 6 members of the family.
Once you are comfortable with Google One storage, you can change to yearly plan. As it can be seen, if you buy an annual plan there is a discount of 2 months. This can be taken after you have tested your current plan for one month or above. You can also upgrade to a higher plan depending upon your need.
But later if you find that lot of storage space is wasted, you can also downgrade your plan.
Google One Extra Member benefits
If you are living in the US, you have other premium features for your family with Google One.
- YouTube Music Premium family plans
- —deto— Premium family plans
- —– TV
- Google Play Family Library
- ————- Music family plan
- —- family plan
- —— Keep
- Google Photos
- Family link
- Google Calendar
These are the premium benefits with Google One for users living in specific countries like US, UK etc. It is not yet clear whether you have to make an add-in purchase for these benefits or not. But the above features come as family benefits.
With YouTube Music Premium family plan all members can enjoy their music ad-free, offline and when their screens are locked. One can share purchased games, apps, movies, TV shows and books with their family members, even if purchased on one device.
Reminders, Shared lists and Notes are part of Google Keep which can be used to share ideas and keep all the family members in the loop. You can create a Google account for your kids and check their browsing habits to be safe and secure.
Clear-cut examples of Google One philosophy
Before using the paid storage of Google One family, the default storage for each person will be taken into account.