The amount of cloud space is limited to 15GB for Google Drive. This includes the storage for Gmail, Photos and other files. If you are uploading photos in “High Quality” mode, then they are not part of Google Drive size.
You can upload and download files or folders to Google Drive in two ways –
1. Desktop/Mobile app
2. Web App
To sync your photos, images, videos, audio, files on your computer or mobile to Google Drive, you just have to drag and drop them in the default folder. You can also sync any folder on your PC to the above cloud service. The premium version comes under the Google One.
How to See Google Driver Folder Size in Web App
There is no direct way of seeing the folder information in the online mode of Google Drive. You can see the list of files and other details, but folder size is not mentioned anywhere. This is a must-feature requested by many Google Drive users in 2019.
It is astonishing that Google has not added folder size details to its cloud storage service.
To find large files, you can use the “Settings” option in the upper-right corner. Then click “View items taking up storage“.
The folder size option is not even available when you subscribe to one of their premium Google One plans. You can contact their technical support team, but their answers will more confuse you then getting back the desired result.
But there is an indirect way of knowing the size of different folders in Google Drive.
You can use the MultCloud application. But you need to have two Google Drive accounts.
Step #1: First need to add Google Drive as one of the Cloud Drives.
Step #2: There is the “Cloud Explorer” option at the top
Step #3: You can see your added Google Drive account here. Double-click it.
Step #4: On the top there is the “Cloud Transfer” option.
Step #5: Select the folder or folders for which you want to see the size.
Step #6: Select a target directory on the second Google Drive account.
Step #7: Click on “Transfer Now“.
Step #8: The process will start.
Step #9: But you can cancel it in the middle and you can see your Google Drive folder size and number of files in it.
Step #10: If the transfer is complete, you can also see in the Web logs.
How to See Google Drive Folder Size (Legacy Mode)
To check Google Driver folder size in offline mode, you can use the File Explorer. Just right-click any folder and click on Properties. You will know the number of files in the folder and it’s size.
But what about folders already uploaded to Google Drive. Are you unsure that all your files are in sync with your Google account or not? This is the big headache every cloud storage user has.
The best thing in this case is to download the Google Drive folder to your hard drive.
To do this follow these steps –
1. On the left-hand side, click on “My Drive” to see all your folders.
2. Right-click any folder and press “Download“.
3. This will save a local copy to your PC.
4. But it will be in the form of a ZIP file.
5. Extract the ZIP file to a destination folder.
6. Select the correct folder, that you downloaded from Google Drive.
7. Right-click the folder and click on “Properties” in File Explorer.
8. This will show the size, files list of Google Drive folder, just like any other folder in Windows.
But this is a tough way, if you have large number of files and the folder size is big.
Using Backup and Sync app in Windows 10 is another option. This is the app provided by Google that syncs Drive cloud storage files and folders. It shows all your files and folders in your Google Drive account.
Since it displays the cloud storage folders in File Explorer, you can check Google Drive folder sizes in Windows default format. This can be done by installing the Backup and Sync app on your desktop or laptop.
Once installed you have to do the following steps to see your Google Drive folder size.
1. Login with your Google Drive account into the Backup and Sync app.
2. In the next screen, it will ask which folders from your computer you want to backup to your Google Drive. Skip this step by clicking “Next“.
3. The third step says “Sync My Drive to this computer“. The default location on your PC is selected, but the “path” can be changed.
4. But here is the crucial step. Select “Sync only these folders…” to display a list of all the folder in your Google Drive.
The folder size will be displayed against each folder. You can then quit the screen to stop this app downloading folders to your computer. Otherwise, it can take lot of your Internet storage plan, if you have a big Google Drive account.