There can be many instances when a friend or friend of friend or an “unknown” person tagging you in a photo, video, event, comments, check-in, status etc.
The face recognition feature of Facebook can also suggest “tags”, whenever you are present in any photo. Self-tagging your image helps others recognize who you are and can make friendly recommendations.
But this “tagging” feature can also be misused by individual for advertising purposes.
Read Also :
This can also be done to promote you to new audience or make new friends who are aware of the status or event.
If these “tags” are automated you might receive notifications several times, that your photos are tagged based on the privacy settings. This can be annoying several times.
Though it might have been done in good intentions, it can be misused by “unknown” persons.
What is Tagging in Facebook and How it Works
This is one of the inherent features of Facebook.
Tagging is the process of adding yourself or your friend to a status update like a post, photo, video, comment, link, check-in, event etc. This can be done at the Facebook Page level also.
For example, when you share a video on your NewsFeed or Status, you can “tag” your friends who are included in the video.
This will create a profile link to that person or friend. Whenever somebody sees the status update, they can click on the friend’s name and see their profile.
What will happen when you “tag” Someone
Your status post may also appear on your friend’s timeline.
When you tag somebody, it will be visible in their notifications section. When you or your friend or someone tags anybody on a photo or post, it could be visible to the selected audience based upon your settings.
Tagging done by people who you are not friends with may also appear in your Timeline.
This depends on the review settings in your Facebook settings.
According to Facebook, you cannot stop somebody or anybody from tagging you. You can manually remove the tag or review the posts, media on which you are tagged.
How to Untag Yourself on Facebook – Desktop
The following steps will help you to untag yourself from videos, comments, photos, check-in, status etc you are already tagged in by your friends or others.
- Login into Facebook. (Hint: Use your username and password).
- Click the drop-down icon on the top blue menu bar.
- Pop-up menu open and click on “Activity Log”.
- On the left hand side under “Filters”, you can see “Posts you’re tagged in”.
- You can see the list of items you are tagged in.
- Scroll down to see the post, photo, video, event etc.
- On the top right hand side corner, click the “pencil” icon.
- Click the label “Report/Remove tag”.
- A pop-up with heading “Help us understand what’s happening” crops up.
The following options are available.
- Its annoying or not interesting.
- I don’t think it should be on Facebook.
- It’s a fake news story.
- It’s spam.
- Choose your option and click “Continue”.
- Click on “Remove tag”. Other options will show the person who tagged you.
- You can block, unfollow, unfriend that person, if you like.
- A tick mark is placed to show that tag is removed. Click “Done”.
You can also see the items you are tagged in under “Tag review”.
Depending upon the privacy settings, items that are tagged will be displayed for review. Below that you can see the “Timeline review”.
You will be able to see who tagged your posts, photos, videos, etc . The total number of “review items” under tagging are listed here. You can add them to your Timeline if you like.
Stop Tagging – Settings on Facebook – Desktop
How do I make sure that “Unknown” friends stop tagging me?
In 2019 also, Facebook is still allowing your friends to tag you on different kind of posts and media items. There is no option or setting to stop someone tagging you on Facebook.
The following steps will help to manually review the posts you are tagged on any post, media, links, check-in etc.
- Click the downward icon in your Facebook account, on the top blue men bar. (Hint: This will be the last option).
- From the pop-up menu, click on “Settings”.
- Left-hand side, you can see “Timeline and tagging”.
- There are two options on the right-hand side.
The “Tagging” setting has the following options.
- Who can see posts that you’re tagged in on your timeline?
You can see an edit button. This will allow to set the audience who you want to see your tagged posts on your Timeline feature. There are lot of options here like – 1. Everyone 2. Friends of friends. 3. Friends. 4. Friends except 5. Specific Friends. 6. Only me 7. Custom etc.
2. When you’re tagged in a post, who do you want to add to the audience of the post if they can’t already see it?
Edit this option to set the audience. If some of your friends are not able to see your tagged posts, then this setting will make sure the intended audience can see the post.
The “Review” feature has the following options.
a. Review posts that you’re tagged in before the posts appear on your timeline? – Enabled or Disabled
b. Review what other people see on your timeline.
c. Review tags that people add to your posts before the tags appear on Facebook? – Enabled or Disabled.
The a. and c. options are useful to prevent tagged posts appearing in your Facebook Newsfeed or Timeline.
When someone is not a friend and still tags you on a post, photo, video etc kind of items, you will be asked to review.
Once you approve the tag, the person tagged and his friends will be able to see your post you are tagged in.
Timeline review feature helps in to prevent items you are tagged in to automatically go to your Timeline.
When this option is enabled, you need to manually review your tagged posts, before they appear on your Timeline. This feature controls only what is allowed on your Timeline.
Untag Yourself on Facebook – Mobile (Android)
The following are the steps for an Android mobile. The screenshots below will show that on the Redmi Note 4 phone.
- Open the Facebook app and log in, if you have not done so.
- You can see three lines on the top-right hand corner.
(Note: There is no “Activity log” unlike in desktop in the mobile version).
- Click your name to “View your profile”.
- Find the post items that you want to “untag” yourself.
(Note: This is tiresome, as you have to scroll infinite number of posts in your Newsfeed, to find the post you want to untag. )
- Otherwise, click the “bell” icon to find the recent notifications.
- You are notified when somebody tags you on your posts.
- Tap on the notification message that says you are tagged in. (Note: It can be comments, links, photos, videos etc).
- Tap on the three lines on the top right hand corner of the post.
- Tap on “Remove tag” option.
- A pop-up that says “Review Posts You’re Tagged in” shows up. Choose “NOT NOW” or “Settings” for Timeline Review of your tags.
- A successful message that says “You are no longer tagged in this post” is displayed.
Stop Tagging – Settings on Facebook App– Mobile (Android)
The below steps will show the path on how to review your tagging settings in Facebook app. The following screenshots will make the process clearer.
- Click the three lines on the top-right hand corner of the Facebook app.
- Scroll through and Tap on “Settings“.
- Tap on “Timeline and Tagging” on the next screen.
- Tagging and Review settings will be visible.
- Make necessary changes as explained in the desktop version.