Facebook messenger is a popular platform to meet friends. Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp, Messenger and Phone contacts are so tightly integrated that you don’t know which is which. When you add a friend in Facebook, you can also see them in Messenger as a contact.
Getting annoying messages from strangers is not good enough. You might have done business with someone on messenger and you don’t want to receive any messages now. Though Messenger is a social platform to meet friends, it can also be used by predators to stalk you.
In earlier years of Messenger development, there was a straight forward button to remove a contact in messenger. But that changed in 2022. Now the only way to remove people in messenger is to block them. Either on Facebook or Messenger.
Messenger can be used both on web and Android. Each has its own interface. Now in 2022, Messenger can be installed as a separate application on Windows 10. In this tutorial we are going to see answers to block people on messenger so that they won’t annoy you.
How to Remove Contacts in Messenger
- Open the Messenger app on Android.
- Tap People label at the bottom.
- Tap the contacts icon at the top right corner.
- All Facebook and phone contacts are visible.
- Tap on the profile picture.
- Tap on the info icon at the top right corner.
- Tap the “-” or Block to remove contacts in messenger.
This will remove each contact in Messenger. The interface may be little different from where your contacts are imported. But the Block option is under Privacy
How to UnFriend in Messenger
Though it’s not possible in Messenger, you can do it on Facebook. But from Messenger, you can reach the profile of your friend on Facebook.
- Go to the contacts section as mentioned above and tap the info icon.
- Tap on Profile. Tap on the View profile on Facebook.
- Tap the 3 horizontal dots on the profile. Tap on Friends.
- You should see the Unfriend option.
It will only appear if you are already friends with him on Facebook.
How to Remove People in Messenger
But if you want to remove too many contacts or block them in Messenger, open Facebook. On the right hand side, you can see contacts. Click the three horizontal dots. Chat settings will open. Click on Block settings. You can also access through Facebook settings. There you can add each contact name. It is more easy and convenient than above, when you want to remove people in Messenger.
How to Remove Someone from Messenger
Messenger can be installed as an app in Windows. Click on Chats on the left hand side. You can also search your contact. Click on someone on Messenger you want to remove. On the right hand side you can see three horizontal dots at the top right hand corner. Click it. The following options are available. Block on Messenger. Block on Facebook. The first option will remove anyone from Messenger.
How to Remove Friends in Messenger
If you are already a friend in Messenger with someone, you can then block him as mentioned above. Otherwise, open their Facebook profile and unfriend them as above. Both the options will remove friends in Messenger.
How to UnConnect with Someone on Messenger
There is another option on Facebook profile page. On the settings page, where you can unfriend someone on Facebook, you can also unfollow the friend. It will unconnect with someone on messenger. It should work with non-friends also.
How to Remove a Facebook non-friend in 2021
Since you are not friends, only follow option is available.
8. Tap on Block. Confirm the setting.
It will stop him from seeing your posts on your timeline, tag you, invite you to events or groups, start a conversation with you and add you as a friend.
If you are already a friend, it will also unfriend him.
How to Delete Someone from Messenger in 2019 and 2020
In this year, the Messenger and Facebook app have a slightly different interface compared to last year.
Read More –
You can delete conversations of people added in Facebook and Messenger with a few clicks.
You can also block a contact in Messenger app who can be a friend or non-friend. Someone appears as a friend or contact in your chats panel in Messenger when he/she accepts your Friend request on Facebook.
How to Block Non-Friend in Messenger
- Tap the contact you want to block or remove. (normal tap)
- In the next screen, you see an info (i) option at the top.
- Tap it.
- On the next screen select “Block” option
How to Unfriend Someone on Messenger
To remove people from messenger, you can either unfriend or block or delete them. Since Facebook and Messenger app are connected, we have to locate the profile of your friend to do this task.
- Open your Facebook Messenger. Switch to People screen. You can see your list of friends, people and contacts here. Tap your contact or person, you wish to unfriend.
- Tap the Info icon of your friend. You can enter the chat window of your friend. It will be shown that you are friends. Tap the “i” icon at the top right.
- View your friend contact details. Tap the profile icon to view further details of your friend in Messenger.
- Click the button that says “View Profile on Facebook“. This button will take you to the Facebook app. You can see your friend profile information on Facebook. This will open the further details.
- Tap the “Friends” option which is ticked. You can see that the contact in your messenger is listed as friends in Facebook. This option is directly not available in Messenger. This will open a pop-up screen.
- Tap the “Unfriend” option.
Note: The above interface and screenshots are taken from 2018. The latest images of 2019 in dark mode are mentioned above.
How to Remove All Contacts in Messenger
You can also delete all contacts uploaded or added from Facebook using the procedure mentioned above.
But as a warning as I mentioned, you need to unsync phone contacts. Otherwise, they may get added up to your messenger list again.
You can also access Messenger from Facebook home page. On the left hand side it is available.
How to Delete Someone on Messenger [Completely] ?
The procedure involves 3-stage operation.
- Delete from Messenger
- Block all Messages
- Remove Contact from Facebook.
To complete this activity, follow these steps.
- Open the Messenger app from Facebook.
- Search for your friend, contact, person.
- Select the contact.
- Click the gear icon (settings).
- Click on “Block messages” label.
- Then click on “Delete” label.
- It will display a pop-up window – “Delete Conversation“.
- If you want your conversation also to be deleted, click “Delete“. Otherwise “Archive“.
- Now go to People app in Facebook and find your friend.
- Click the 3 dots beside “Friends“.
- Now click the “Unfriend” item.
- Logout from Facebook and login again.
I am mentioning this effort because even when you remove someone from messenger, he/she is still available as a contact in Facebook people app. So he is still be able to send messages to you. For that purpose you need to block them.
But when you search that name in Messenger list, it will show as a contact. For that purpose, if you unfriend him/her, you can be safe it doesn’t add back to messenger list again.
How to Remove Non-Friend from Messenger?
As you can see above, “Jeff Corpuz” is not a friend of mine in Facebook. But he has recently sent a message asking a question about SEO. But he appears in my messenger list.
The procedure is the same as to the process I shown above.
- Click the gear icon against that contact.
- You can see several options.
- Out of them , Delete and Block messages are relevant here.
- When you click Delete, this contact will be removed from messenger.
- The same is duplicated in your Messenger mobile app.
In future if I don’t want him to send messages to me, I can simply use the option “Block messages“. This will prevent him from adding to the messenger contact list again.
This is the conversation history I had when I chat with him in Messenger. But when I delete him, this will also be removed.
Delete Non-Friend Business Contact in Messenger
The above business contact had some chat with me in Messenger. But he is neither listed as a friend, nor found as a contact in Facebook. He is listed as a Business page. For this kind of contacts, there is no block messages option. You have only “Delete” option. This will also delete the conversation history.
How to Delete Messenger Contacts ?
When you are using mobile (Android or iOS), Messenger App may get access to phone contacts.
Generally this happens if you give access permission to Messenger to add your mobile contacts.
The contacts in Facebook who are added to Messenger, will now be clubbed with the phone contacts.
In another scenario if you import your Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook contacts into Messenger, the list keeps growing.
What do you do in such position? These are called “uploaded contacts”.
Remove Phone Contacts
- Go to this link – https://www.facebook.com/mobile/messenger/contacts/
- Click on “Delete All Contacts“.
It should remove all the contacts imported from Facebook or uploaded from email source or synced with mobile phone contacts.
Warning: If you go through the above screenshot there are two important points to note.
- You should “turn off the “Sync contacts” setting in the Messenger app.
- Turn off the “Continuous call and SMS matching” setting.
You could also see all the contacts you’ve uploaded from Facebook.
The process to delete someone from messenger on iPhone is a lot similar as shown in the web version. You can follow the guide given below, to delete a contact from Messenger in Android.
How to Remove Contacts and Messages in Messenger ?
Even after deleting a contact in Messenger, if somebody is sending you messages it is so annoying.
They keep coming in and they’ll clutter your contacts list. As the list grows, Messenger become slow and may also cause hang up.
In such cases there is a “blocking” option provided by Facebook.
But what happens when you block someone. Facebook has some special notes which will say how it gives access to contacts when you blocked someone.
You can also turn off your mobile search option in Facebook, using the “Privacy” setting mentioned above.
This will prevent someone from finding you on Messenger or Facebook using your mobile number. The same can be done with Email also.
How do you find someone on Messenger?
You can easily find someone on messenger without logging into Facebook. When you type someone’s nickname or name, the suggestions are sorted on basis of connected, mutual friends, Instagram accounts, discover feature. Tap on see more section to see further list of suggested people for a particular name.
Use the search box to find a contact by name, phone number or email address. It will only work if the other person has not blocked you from receiving messages or calls. Also if the person has tight privacy security rules. Even if the person has removed and deactivated messenger then also you can’t find him.
How to block someone on Messenger but not Facebook?
Tap on People in Messenger. Tap on Contacts icon at the top right. Beside each contact, there is a profile pic. Tap on it. Tap on the info icon at the top right. Tap on Block. There are two options here – 1. Block messages and calls 2. Block on Facebook. Turn on the first option and keep the second option as it is. It will block contact on messenger but not on Facebook.
How to delete people’s names from Messenger
You can find out the list of people you’ve messaged with by visiting Messenger’s homepage . Click the “People” link in the top-level navigation to reveal a list of your recent conversations. You can sort this list by People, Dates, or Messages. Right-click on a contact’s entry in the list to reveal an additional menu, after which you can select “Remove from List” to banish them from your Messenger profile.
How to delete block list in Messenger?
You might have added contacts to block someone on messenger. Afterwards, you decided to delete block list. Tap on Profile pic and Phone contacts. There are two options – 1. Upload contacts 2. Manage contacts. Turn off the first option. Tap on the second option. Below Contacts, tap on “Delete all contacts“. It will delete the block list. But if the first option is on, the info will be uploaded again automatically. So make sure you follow the steps carefully.
How to un-sync messenger and text messages?
SMS and chat messages in Messenger can be unlinked in Android. Tap the profile pic on the top left. Scroll down to tap on SMS. There is an option to turn on and off. Move the slider to left. Your text messages and messenger are now un-synced. SMS texts aren’t shared with Facebook.