If you are getting the following message while booting in windows 10, your files may be corrupt or something is wrong with the startup process.
This generally occurs if you are using old kind of hard disk partitions and BIOS mode. If you are using the new SSD disks with more than 2 TB disk space, you might be using the UEFI mode which is different from this kind of error.
Method #1 – The first line of attack
So if you get the BOOTMGR is missing in Windows 10, then you can look at this solution first?
- First have your Windows 10 installation media.
- Insert the USB or DVD into your computer and press the Enter key.
- After a few screens, you click on “Repair your computer”.
- Next click on “Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt”.
- Enter the command – chkdsk c: /f and press enter.
- The process will complete and exit.
- Restart the computer. Now the bootmgr problem should be solved.
If this does not solve the problem, then go to “Troubleshoot > Advanced Options. Then click on Startup Repair. It will automatically repair the boot up problems.
Method #2 – Use Commands
Another command prompt solution exists, if the above methods don’t work.
For this you should use the same installation media and enter the Command Prompt window as mentioned above.
Then enter the following commands one-by-one.
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
This will definitely remove your bootmgr issues and you will be able to successfully launch into your Windows 10 again.
Method #3 – Write MBR and Rebuild Bootloader
I always keep a dual-boot system for these kind of issues. For example, if you have Windows 10 and 7 on the same system and you are not able to boot into one system, but can into the other, then you can apply this solution.
You can use the “EasyBCD” software to write the MBR and install a new boot loader. You can use the “BCD Deployment” tab on the software. For single users it’s a free software. You just need register for it. For companies and group of users, you may need to buy it.
Method #4 – Tools to Write MBR
There are other solutions to fix the bootmgr problem in Windows 10.
- Easy Recovery Essentials – This software has automatic repair feature. It will correct errors related to disk, partition, bootsector, filesystem and registry.
- EaseUS free partition software – You have to select the boot driver and click on Rebuild MBR. Select the Windows 10 operating system to repair it. You can also use the Startup Repair of Windows Recovery Environment (WRE).
- MiniTool Partition Wizard – The Pro and above editions of this software have a feature called “Bootable Media”. Build a bootable CD or USB and fix MBR in the features provided.
Method #5 – Repair Windows Image or use System Restore
You can also repair the Windows Image to restore health of your PC. Using the installation media, enter the command prompt and type the following command.
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
If the above command fails to work, you can use the commands mentioned in the screenshot below.