The first solution for mic volume too low problem in Windows 10 is try the default troubleshoot feature. If you are on Skype or any other VoIP software speaking to your office mates or friends, quiet volume can irritate the user on the other side. Sometimes even if the microphone volume levels are set to near 100, there is very little noise.
For me, the Creative Headset HS 330 had similar kind of mic volume not audible issue. No matter whatever you do, there is no increase in mic volume in Windows 10. It was working fine with other versions of Windows.
Table of Contents
The following is the check list of solutions if your Windows 10 microphone is too quiet in volume and not audible –
- Install the latest drivers of your “branded” mic headset.
- Uninstall and Reset Skype kind of IM and voice calling software.
- Select the “correct” microphone as “default” mic device.
- Try the Microsoft “default” drivers first.
- Use a different “brand” mic headset, if it doesn’t work in Windows 10.
- Check for “loose” connections, if it’s a wired mic headphone.
- Uninstall the audio drivers and reinstall them.
When the other headset mic volume was too quiet, I made several configuration changes. But the Creative headset refused to buckle. As a last resort I ordered a new “Quantum Stereo Headphone with Mic for PC Laptop Desktop – QHM 316” which was very cheap. It had both mic and headphones. It worked perfectly for Windows 10.
So before you buy any kind of headset with mic, check its compatibility with Windows 10. Most of the times, you do not have problem with Windows 7 or 8.1, but inaudible sound can be heard while recording screencast videos or doing a Skype call.
How to Troubleshoot Windows 10 Mic Volume is Too low
Before in Windows 7, you could make use of Control Panel to troubleshoot any issue. But with Windows 10, the interface has changed and is much easier to do. Follow these steps –
- Press Start button and the gear icon.
- Windows Settings will open.
- Double-click on System.
- Select “Sound” on the next pop-up window.
- On the right-hand side, scroll through to get “Input”.
- Choose the right input device – (here the mic you are using. If you have different microphones than they are listed. So make sure to select the mic through which you want record voice).
- Check if the mic volume to quiet is solved.
- Otherwise, there is a “Troubleshoot” button below.
- Click it. This should open another window.
- Follow the next few screens, to troubleshoot your mic issue.
This should be the first step when everything is set up correct. But what-if your settings are wrong. Then you need to make the correction in the microphone properties to produce bigger sound.
How to Increase Mic Volume Level in Windows 10?
This is a generic way of improving your mic volume level without giving preference to any brand. You can use the same Windows Settings to find the mic volume properties.
- Go to Windows Settings.
- System > Sound > Input.
- Select the Input device – Microphone (7-USB Audio Device) (for eg. In my case)
- Click on “Device Properties”.
- This will open “Microphone Properties” pop-up window.
- Click on the “Levels” tab.
- Increase Microphone volume level, which is between 0 and 100.
- It depends on the brand of the mic, on what value to be set.
- Some mics require value of less than 50, while some require near 100.
This is the standard solution to boost up your mic volume levels and come out of too quite scenario.
You can also reach the pop-up window, by right-clicking the “speaker” icon in the system tray. Then select “Open Sound settings”. This will directly open the “Sound” setting in “Windows Settings”.
One can also make use of Control Panel to open the mic volume properties. Click “Start” and type “Control Panel”. View by “Small icons”. Click on “Sound” item. This will open “Sound” properties window. Select “Recording” tab. In the list select your working “Microphone”. Click on “Properties” below. “Microphone Properties” pop-up window will open.
The rest of the process is the same to make your mic volume loud.
Find the Right Sound Drivers in Windows 10 for your Headset with Mic brand
This is one of the technique to make your mic work normally again with optimal sound. Whether it is Realtek, Plantronics or Razer Kraken mic, if the volume is too quiet, you must install their right audio drivers. Generally with Windows 10, Microsoft will install it default drivers.
But sometimes these can give problems and also rectify it. If your mic volume is too quiet then install the audio drivers from the manufacturer website.
- RealTek Audio Driver location – http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
- Plantronics Audio Driver location– https://www.plantronics.com/in/en/support/downloads-apps/hub-desktop
- For Razer Kraken 7.1 Audio drivers, you can download Synapse 2.0 or 3.0 (beta) to adjust your mic volume – https://www.razer.com/synapse-3
Here is a list of HD audio drivers for some other brands –
Skype Problems for Windows 10 Microphone Too Quiet
In the PC, you can install the Skype app for Windows 10. Then you can use your headset to make calls to different countries. Sometimes, there is an issue with Skype settings or software, which can prove problematic to others listening your voice. In this case, you can try some of these solutions.
- Re-install Skype once again. You can delete the existing Skype app and install again in Windows 10. This can be done by going to “Programs and Features” in Control Panel. Otherwise, you can make use of the “Windows Settings” feature. You can select “Apps” > Apps &features. On the right-hand side find your Skype app, uninstall and re-install again.
- Check your app permissions for Skype app. It should allow access to your “Mic”. This can be done by clicking the “More” option under the Skype app in “Apps & Features” section.
- Upgrade to the latest version of Skype. The current version I am using is 12.1815.210.0.
- Rest the Skype app. If you do this, your Skype app will be reinstalled in Windows 10 and revert back to its default settings, which is important. But your stored messages or documents will not be affected.
Another important thing, you should take care of is to select the right “mic” device in your Skype settings. Open the Skype app and click the “three dots” at the top. Select “Settings”. Under Microphone, select your mic – Microphone (7-USB Audio Device) (for eg. ). Make it the default input device.