Download managers have wide applications like downloading YouTube videos and increasing downloading speeds.
The IDM CNET review also gives high rating for this download manager of YouTube, Netflix, DailyMotion, Vimeo downloads.
In this Internet Download Manager review of 2020 (IDM) we can see different features, configuration and options available.
IDM download and install can be done easily like any other app in Windows 10. This can be very useful if you want to save YouTube videos on your PC.
You can schedule your downloads or even download the whole website using idm manager. With Android and iOS, the impetus has changed to apps.
IDM CNET Review
On CNET, under the category of Download Managers there are about 947 software to this date.
It’s a very cumbersome task to try each application and know about its strengths and weaknesses.
So if you sort the software based on total downloads to date, IDM ranks on #3 spot. The total number of downloads till now are about 58 million and the editors rating is about 3.5 stars. There are about 1907 reviews for this product on CNET. About 75% of the users have given a 5 star or 4 star rating and about 15% have given 1 star rating. The file size is also very minimal of 5.94 MB.
Internet Download Manager Review of 2020
Best Download Manager for PC and Laptop
Name: Internet Download Manager
Description: Internet Download Manager works with all browsers and web apps. Just click the download links on YouTube or DailyMotion or Vimeo or any other media site. It will capture the videos automatically and downloads files in different formats like MP4, AVI, MPEG etc.
Offer price: 11.95
Operating System: Windows
Application Category: Download Manager
- Answer to slow download speeds!
- IDM increases download speed by upto 5 times.
- Resume downloads.
- No questions asked before downloading.
- Buy genuine software to prevent fake pop-ups and malware inclusion.
- I bought this, you can buy it with confidence.
- Download Facebook, YouTube, MetaCafe videos with just a click.
- Supports all popular browsers like IE, Firefox, Chrome with latest versions.
- Best video grabber in any web player.
- Provision for automatic-virus checking.
- Simple drag-n-drop feature to drop links to IDM and files out of it.
- IDM supports many types of proxy servers.
- IDM is available in multiple languages.
- You have built-in scheduler.
- Advanced browser integration and customizable interface.
- You can set download limits and have quick update features.
- Help of dynamic segmentation.
- File is divided into segments and improves performance of the download.
- Easy to Use
- Works with all Web Players and Browsers
- Simple Integration
- Automatic download with 1-click
- Lot of Options
- Download complete website
- Works well with Netflix, YouTube and Facebook videos
- Full Optimized Download Speed
- Visual Interface is good
- Price is little high
- Little performance issues.
- Works with PC or Laptop only
- Annoying Pop-up even after Extension or Add-on disabled.
- Stop force downloading is a headache
The best feature of this application is its compatibility with different versions of browsers.
It is compatible with all popular browsers like IE, Chrome, AOL, MSN, Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox, Avant Browser and many more.
It can be integrated into any Internet application to take over downloads using unique “Advanced Browser Integration” feature. Downloading videos from the Internet can be done easily with a few clicks.
Disclaimer : In the above review affiliate links to the product are included. I will get a small commission when you buy . But no extra cost or charges are applied if you buy this product from my site. Read More –
- Fix Microsoft Store Stuck on Starting Download in Windows 10
- How to Improve Download Speed in Google Chrome to Optimal Levels * 2019 *
- Download Creative Sound Blaster Z drivers – Sound Not Working in Windows 10
It can be used to download Netflix, Facebook, YouTube videos on your laptop. Small icons are shown above videos and different files types.
Downloading any video, image, document, zipped folder can be done easily by clicking this icon.
For this to work you need to install extensions or add-ons. You can install Chrome extension from web store.
IDM FireFox add-on is also installed when you install this program. You can integrate this downloading software with many other browsers.
File Types Supported
These are several file types on which IDM automatically starts downloading.
These are the default list and you can add many. You can also prevent IDM from automatically downloading from a set of sites. Generally, certain sites are prevented by default. They include. *.update.microsoft.com download.windowsupdate.com siteseal.thawte.com ecom.cimetz.com *.voice2page.com.
You can also edit the list of addresses from stopping IDM to download automatically.
You can add wild card characters also to the web addresses to prevent certain type of files from downloading. Read More –
- Windows 10 vs Windows 7 : Which One Would You Prefer?
- [Case-Study] Why Cleaning Software is Unnecessary in Windows 10 and Windows 7?
How to Download on YouTube, Netflix, Vimeo
I have tested this software application on some popular video websites. IDM seems to work fine on most of them.
This is less complicated than other download managers, extensions and add-ons which ask a thousand questions, before downloading something.
Whenever you visit Vimeo, MetaCafe, Twitch, DailyMotion or YouTube, a small-icon pops up on the video. You just have to click that button and the video downloads.
One need not worry about the anti-virus scan.
One can check the downloaded files with their favorite anti-virus engine like Kaspersky, Avast, AVG Anti-Virus, McAfee and others to protect their files from viruses and Trojans.
IDM can show its download panel icon on a web player video, playing on services like DailyMotion, MetaCafe, Youtube in a browser when IDM detects a multimedia request from it.
You can also prevent IDM from capturing downloads from web players automatically.
How to Stop IDM pop up Download
- Open Internet Download Manager
- Click on Downloads > Options > General
- Click on the Edit button beside “Customize IDM Download panels in browsers“
- You have two tabs 1. For web-players 2. For selected files
- Check the box that says “Don’t capture downloads from web-players automatically“.
- For selected files tab, you have to check the option – Don’t show Download panel for selected links.
Similarly in Firefox also an add-on is created. You can disable them to stop IDM from popping out.
But still it sometimes displays when a video or audio is playing in Facebook or YouTube, you see these IDM icons.
Better uninstall IDM software completely if the above options don’t work.
How to Customize IDM Menu Items
You can also customize IDM menu items that appear in the context menu.
You can select a link and right click and number of options are available.
These options can be customized using this feature.
For example, using Firefox and other Mozilla based browsers you can have different options in the context menu like – 1. Download with IDM. 2. Download last requested FLV video with IDM. 3. Download FLV videos with IDM from 10 last requested. 4. Download all links with IDM.
- You can launch your Internet Download Manager at system startup.
- There are different options under this tab.
- You can run the IDM module for monitoring in IE-based browsers like AOL, MSN, and Avant etc.
- IDM is compatible with many of the Windows operating systems like XP/NT/2000/Vista/7/8/8.1 including the 64 bit versions.
- The latest version also works with Windows 10. But for Windows 98/ME users, you need to use a different compatible program.
Automatically start downloading of URLs placed to clipboard.
Capture downloads from the following browsers using advanced browser integration – Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Opera.
You can also add a browser, if it doesn’t exist. Generally, when you click a link, the download is automatically taken over by IDM.
But you can prevent this from happening.
At the same way, you can also force download IDM for any links.
Similarly you can set different keys like Alt, Shift, Ctrl, Ins or combination to perform the same phenomenon.
You can categorize your downloads into various categories. You can also specify the download location for each category.
There are 6 different categories by default – General, Compressed, Documents, Music, Programs, and Video.
A set of specific file types are assigned to each category.
This saves you the trouble of locating the destination folder, each time you want to download any file type.
You can also specify the Temporary directory which is used for storing file parts of a download.
Option to specify different download settings.
Show start download dialog, download complete dialog, start downloading immediately while displaying “Download File Info” dialog, show queue selection panel on pressing “Download Later” button and on closing batch download dialogs.
You can also integrate your Virus scanner program. You just have to find the .exe of the virus program and provide its path.
You can also set a connection type for your system and IDM. There are several different options like – Low speed, Medium speed and High speed.
You can also set the maximum number of connections. Generally 8 is the default number, but you can increase it to 32 or reduce it to 1.
This will divide the file into so many parts and each is given a separate connection.
You can also set the maximum number of connections on a server basis. You can also set the download limits.
You can also assign proxies through which you can download files. The proxy can be used for different protocols like http, https and ftp.
Downloading using socks by providing socks server address, port, username and password.
Sometimes certain sites use username and passwords. You can only download files from such sites by providing the required information.
Users who are in remote places and still using dial up options can find this feature useful. You just have to define the connection and provide the login details.
This also works out for VPN networking. For example, if you want to download Netflix TV serials or movies, you need a proxy or VPN.
Why you should Buy IDM in 2020
In order to test IDM features, there is a 30 day trial.
You can test all the features, mentioned above.
Register for a full-featured version, after the full-trial.
But there is a special offer for lifetime license. You can buy for $24.95, for 1 PC as one-time payment.
There are different payment methods – credit card, paypal. Pre-payment check can also be done.
The payment is done from MyCommerce Online Store. You can use different credit cards like – visa, mastercard, amex, discover and jcb.
Payment is protected by Norton services powered by digicert and TLS secure.
In order to avoid that it’s always better to shed $25. Previously I used to use pirated and cracked versions of IDM.
But whatever method I use and whenever I update to a newer version, this pop-up still comes up and wastes lot of time.
So finally I decided to buy the original version.
What’s new in version 6.36?
The following is the change log.
- Improved download engine
- Fixed problems in message boxes with some Unicode languages
- Improved the appearance of “Download panel” on Windows 8 and above
- Added support for new types of video streams
- Fixed problems with missing audio for some TS files
- Added support for new types of videos for several web streaming services
- Fixed problems with video recognition for several types of web sites in IE
- Fixed problems with downloading for several types of video streams
- Improved download engine (fixed problems with downloading from several sites such as github and others)
- Added Unicode support for command line parameters
- Improved download engine
- Improved the interception of downloads from browsers
- Fixed bugs
Some problems arose with Firefox internal downloads.
These were fixed which were related to erroneous interceptions.
With the latest stable release of Chrome of Google Chrome 75.0.3770.100, there is a necessity to update browser integration.
This was modified in 6.36 version. There is a latest release to Firefox, which is 38.0. So to this version IDM support was added.
How to Scan Downloaded Files using IDM?
All you need to do is find the executable of the virus scanner program and provide its path to IDM.
You can also scan your files using Windows Defender, Kaspersky, Norton Antivirus etc very easily.
You can scan any IDM downloaded file very easily using your anti-virus program.
If there are any command line parameters, you need to provide them also. You have to integrate the program only once.
Once you have completed this step, IDM will automatically scan the downloaded files, whether it be videos, audio, images or slides, and give the results.
This is one of the best download managers for Windows 10 or 7 desktop.
Since its inception in 1997, it is going great guns and has produced excellent results in downloading different file types.
There is no crapware or adware when you install the software and is very useful to download YouTube videos and the like.
The best thing about this software is that it will give full throttle to your download speeds.
For example, on my 2 mbps connection Internet I get download speeds of 260 to 300 kbps which are optimized for my bandwidth.
If you really want to save time in downloading files, its better you buy a genuine version of IDM.