Xiaomi has quickly grown to become one of the top smartphone brands in the world. Xiaomi phones like Redmi and Mi lineup pack great hardware at an affordable price point.
However, some users face common issues with their Xiaomi phones over time. In this detailed guide, we will look at the most reported Xiaomi phone problems and solutions to fix them.
One of the top complaints is battery life deterioration after months of use. Possible causes include outdated software, battery-hogging apps running in background, and natural battery wear.
Try troubleshooting by disabling Always-on Display, restricting app background usage, updating MIUI system software, and avoiding overcharging battery. If battery still drains abnormally fast, get it replaced from authorized service center.
Another frequent issue is Xiaomi phones lagging and slowing down over time. This can happen as you install more apps and store more data.
The phones typically have decent RAM and processors, so lag is likely caused by bloated system cache after months of use.
You can free up system resources by clearing app cache, deleting unused apps and files, updating to latest MIUI version, resetting app preferences, and in worst case factory resetting the phone.
Commons Issues with Xiaomi Phones
Problems with WiFi connectivity, Bluetooth pairing, GPS locks, and overall system instability can also crop up on Xiaomi phones.
Firmware updates, network setting resets, and factory resets typically help enhance system performance. For advanced troubleshooting, users can unlock bootloader and flash Xiaomi phones with custom ROMs that often provide bug fixes and optimizations lacking in MIUI.
With some tweaking and troubleshooting, the most common problems on Xiaomi phones like Redmi Note series, Mi A series, and Poco series can be easily fixed by users themselves without needing to visit a service center.
We discuss step-by-step solutions to resolve Xiaomi phone issues in this comprehensive guide.
Fix Battery Draining Too Fast
It can be frustrating when your Xiaomi phone’s battery drains faster than expected. Try these troubleshooting tips:
- Check which apps are using the most battery in Settings > Battery and restrict their background usage.
- Turn off Always-on Display if enabled, as it reduces standby time.
- Disable WiFi/Bluetooth when not in use.
- Update to the latest MIUI version, as updates fix battery optimization.
- Reset all settings (not data) if battery still drains fast. This will refresh the phone’s system.
Fix WiFi Connectivity Issues
If your Xiaomi phone struggles to connect or maintain a stable WiFi connection, try:
- Reboot your wireless router and phone to refresh the connection.
- Forget the WiFi network on your phone and reconnect from scratch.
- Switch channels on the router if there is interference on the current channel.
- Toggle Airplane Mode on/off to force the phone to re-establish WiFi signal.
- Check for router firmware and MIUI system updates.
Fix Bluetooth Problems
Trouble pairing your Xiaomi phone with Bluetooth devices? Follow these tips:
- Reset networking settings on the phone from Settings.
- Unpair previously connected Bluetooth devices and pair again from scratch.
- Check the Bluetooth device is in pairing mode when connecting to phone.
- Update Bluetooth driver both on the phone and connected device.
- Try connecting the Bluetooth device to another phone to isolate the issue.
Fix App Crashes and Lags
Sluggish performance and app crashes on your Xiaomi phone? Some helpful tips:
- Close background apps not in use by swiping up from Recents screen.
- Check for and install latest app updates from Play Store.
- Update to latest MIUI system software.
- Reset app preferences for problematic apps from Settings.
- Clear app cache and data as a last resort if problems persist.
Why does my Xiaomi phone freeze occasionally?
App crashes or system software glitches can cause the phone to freeze or become unresponsive. Try rebooting the phone or wiping the system cache partition.
How to reset Xiaomi phone to factory settings?
Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Backup & Reset. Tap on Factory Data Reset and then Erase Everything to wipe the phone.
What drains Xiaomi phone battery fast?
Apps running in the background, Always-on Display, excessive usage of mobile data/GPS, and outdated software can all contribute to faster battery drain.
How to recover deleted photos on Xiaomi phone?
If you have a Mi Cloud backup, sign in and restore photos. Otherwise use data recovery apps to salvage deleted photos from phone storage before it is overwritten.
Fix Frozen Screen/Unresponsive Phone
If your Xiaomi phone freezes and becomes unresponsive, attempt:
- Press and hold the Power button for 10 sec to force restart the phone.
- Boot the phone into Safe Mode to check if issues persist. Point to a third-party app.
- Wipe system cache partition from Recovery menu.
- Reset all settings via Settings but avoid factory reset.
- Flash latest Fastboot ROM using Mi Flash Tool to refresh MIUI.