Brother printers & scanners are one of the most popular brands in the USA. Microsoft community users complained that the model MFC-L8850CDW brother scanner not working Windows 11 wirelessly.
It looks like Brother has not released the latest scan drivers for Windows 11. Some people tried using the Windows 10 drivers, but out of luck. One of the forum users pointed to the following link – Downloads | MFC-L8850CDW | United States | Brother.
In this solution guide we are going to see a fix for brother scanner not working Windows 11.
How to Install Brother Windows 11 Printer and Scanner Drivers
- Download the Full Driver & Software Package. It should probably be an executable file and installed like a traditional setup.
- Though the release date is 9/8/2015, it is supported for Windows 11 and Windows 10 – 32 and 64 bit.
It should be sufficient to make the scanner work if it’s not working wirelessly.
- Under Utilities you can also see the Wireless Setup Helper. It helps in finding the security settings (SSID and Network key) of your wireless network required to configure the wireless network settings of your Brother machine.
- There are other tools like – Network connection Repair tool, ControlCenter4 Update Tool etc. You can install them and see if your issue of wireless scan is resolved.
- The wireless setup of Brother machine is mentioned in this video.
Problem with Brother Wireless Scanner
Ever since upgrading to Windows 11, my Brother printer (MFC-L8850 CDW) will no longer scan using Windows 11. When I contacted Brother, they said the issue was with Windows and not Brother. Has anyone else had this similar issue? When reviewing the Brother website, they are not posting any issues with my particular printer.
You could try the above drivers by either updating or reinstalling them again from the brother source mentioned above.
Brother Scanner Not working Windows 11 – Troubleshooting steps.
- Check whether Brother printer & scanner is on the wireless network or not.
- In the Windows 11 Device Manager or Settings, check whether the Scanner driver is available. Otherwise use the top link to install the full driver and software package.
- Check the IP of Brother machine and it is connected to the network.
- Set the IP address on the scanner driver in the Network setting.
- Disable the firewall if required and then enable again after scanning.
Why is my scanner not working Windows 11?
Recently, there have been reports by quite a few users that their scanner won’t run on Windows 11. Depending on the specific problem, some users are unable to interact at all with the scanner, while others receive a “Can’t communicate with scanner” error message. Almost every type of scanner has faced this issue like Epson, Canon, HP, Image Access, Panasonic – just to name a few. Scanner Not Working on Windows 11 can be fixed by trying the following fixes: Reinstalling the Scanner, Adjusting the Compatibility Mode, Checking Windows Services, Running the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter, Checking Your Scanner and Cables, Uninstalling and Reinstalling Printer Drivers and Software, Configuring Scanner Services, and Running SFC and DISM commands.
How do I install Brother scanner software?
To install Brother scanner software, use the installation DVD and insert the DVD into your device. Then, choose Install Scanner Driver on the following window and click Next. Make sure to read the agreement and check the I accept box before clicking Next. Once the installation is complete, follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation. If you do not have the Installation DVD, please go to the Downloads section of the website and download the Scanner Driver. Follow the installation instructions on the download page and then follow the steps from Step 5.
How do I get my Brother printer to scan to my computer?
To scan a document from your Brother printer to your computer, you can use the Scan to File feature from the SCAN key on your Brother machine. Follow the steps below:
Load your document.
Press the SCAN key.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to select Scan to PC, and then press OK.
Press the Up or Down arrow key to select File, and then press OK.
Select the destination computer.
Press OK. If the LCD prompts you to enter a PIN, enter the four-digit PIN for the destination computer on the LCD.
To use the default scan settings, press the Up or Down arrow key to select No, and then press OK.
Press Start. The machine starts scanning. If you are using the machine’s scanner glass, follow the LCD instructions to complete the scanning job.
How do I manually install a scanner driver?
To manually install a scanner driver, you need to download the driver from the manufacturer’s website, then double-click the downloaded file to decompress it. After that, the installer will start. You may need to grant Administrator rights if prompted. Once the installation screen appears, choose your model and language, then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
How do I reset my Brother scanner on Windows 11?
To reset your Brother scanner on Windows 11, you will need to check your machine’s display or LEDs for any error message and clear it.
- Then, double-click on iPrint&Scan (Brother iPrint&Scan).
- Click Select your Machine to search for it and reconnect.
- If your machine is not found, disconnect the Brother machine from the power outlet.
- Wait about 15 seconds, and then plug it back in.
- Make sure your computer is on the same network as your machine.
Wireless Network Users: Reconnect your machine to your wireless network.
Wired Network Users: Reconnect the Ethernet cable from your machine to your router and then reset your machine’s network card. Attempt to scan again.
If you’re still unable to scan, reboot your computer and the power to your Brother machine.
- Reboot the power to your router.
- Attempt to scan from another network-connected computer.
If after troubleshooting you are still unable to scan, contact your computer manufacturer or network admin for additional support.
How do I reset my Brother scanner on Apple Mac?
To reset your Brother scanner, detach the interface cable for Network, or All Settings reset functions.
Enter 2783 and press ‘Mono Start‘ which will reset the purge count; Press stop to exit maintenance mode.
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Printers & Scanners in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
Control-click the printer in the Printers list.
Then choose Reset Printing System from the menu.
Double-click the Remote Setup icon.
When your machine is connected via a Network, type the password if required.
Click the Machine Info menu in the left pane and select the Power Reset screen.
Here, you have two options: Reboot the MFP — This restarts the machine.
When you tap the [Stop/Reset button], you can select whether to reset the Network, Address & Fax, or All Settings.