In the 1709 version of Win 10, one may have recieved the Windows Update Error code of 0x80245006. This will stop downloading and installing updates. The cause for this error code can be many. You need to take an appropriate action based upon the cause of the error. Otherwise bugs, fixes, security patches that are released with the updates cannot be installed.
Security is as important as the graphics in your PC. Most of the times you do install an antivirus like Microsoft Essentials or Windows Defender to protect yourself from unwanted happenings to your computer. But as an initial step, the first and foremost step in this regards, is to install Windows Updates from time to time. This is necessary whether your computer is running on 10, 8.1 or 7.
The common actions that can be taken are as follows :
1. Remove AdFender Software
2. Check Proxy Settings
3. Disable certain features in AntiVirus
4. Windows Update Troubleshooter
5. Restart BITS Service
6. Perform Clean boot
7. Perform SFC and DISM scans
- 1 What is the Cause of Windows Update Error Code 0x80245006?
- 2 1. AdFender is an ad-blocking software that will block ads in Microsoft Edge.
- 3 2. Proxy Settings can also be the cause for this Windows Update Error Code.
- 4 3. Windows Defender is the in-built anti-virus in Windows 10.
- 5 4. The Error code 0x80245006 also occurs when you try to download Windows updates.
- 6 5. You can also make sure the important and necessary Windows Services are running on your PC.
- 7 6. You can also perform a clean boot.
- 8 Conclusion
What is the Cause of Windows Update Error Code 0x80245006?
In detail you can see the following causes how to repair this error code.
1. Whenever you use the functionality of Windows Update, this error occurs. In this regards you can try the Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix the problem.
2. In Windows 10 and 8.1, you have Windows Store to download apps. You need Internt to download these apps. If thee is interference between the network connection and Windows 10 store apps, this error code can also be encountered.
3. This type of error can occur not only in Windows 10 but in 8.1 or Server 2016.
The updates are as important as the features of apps in Win 10. So if you receive the update error 0x80245006, it is an hinderance to intall Windows updates. Also as you know with each new update, there are few changes to your sytem. You might miss these new features if the error code 0x80245006 occurs.
1. AdFender is an ad-blocking software that will block ads in Microsoft Edge.
But this has a disadvantage. Though it can block ads, it also has the disadvantage of blocking updates. One of the reasons for 0x80245006 update error is AdFender software. The only solution to solve the above error code is to remove AdFender software, at the cost of not-blocking ads.
To uninstall this software, you can use different uninstall software. One of the good ones is Revo Uninstaller. You can also use its Pro version. You can also use Programs and Features in Windows 10, to remove this software. But generally some left over items remain even after installation. For complete removal of the software and registry entries you can use the above tool.
2. Proxy Settings can also be the cause for this Windows Update Error Code.
To adjust them, you can go select Internet Properties in IE. In this window, you can go to the Connections tab. Selet LAN settings. Click Advanced in the next pop-up window. Under this you can stop proxy server from using some website addresses. So these will use the Internet connection directly without proxy.
So to solve the Windows Update Error code 0x80245006, you can allow the following microsoft sites from not using the proxy.
3. Windows Defender is the in-built anti-virus in Windows 10.
This has lot of functionalities to control the way it is working. Some of them are –
1. Virus & threat protection
2. Device performance & health
3. Firewall & network protection
4. App & browser control.
You can disable any of the above features to make the Windows update working again. Otherwise you can totally block the anti-virus you use temporarily to install the updates. This is because, they sometime interfere with the process of updates. This is also one solution to fix the Windows update problem by disabling anti-virus.
4. The Error code 0x80245006 also occurs when you try to download Windows updates.
This will prevent you from downloading any new updates and can cause security issues. One of the ways to fix this problem is use the in-built Windows Update troubleshooter. This can be accessed through Settings in Windows 10, while it may be different in 8.1 and 7.
As I have said earlier, sometimes you have to download this tool on Win 7 and run it. This can fix many of the PC related update issues. The link to this tool is –
It can be found for Windows 10 which is different from the in-built tool. Download the tool and run it on your PC. After running it, check the updates and see if the problem is resolved.
5. You can also make sure the important and necessary Windows Services are running on your PC.
If the required services required to cure error 0x80245006 are not running, then the Windows Update will not function properly. Some of the services, which you may have disabled can also be enabled.
Type services.msc in the Run dialog box.
Locate the Background Intelligent Transfer service and check its status. If its not running, then start the particular service. The same can be repeated for the following services.
1. Windows Update
After doing it you also need to disable some services using the Command Prompt in Administrator mode. You need to apply the following commands.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
Then restart your PC.
6. You can also perform a clean boot.
This can be done by typing “msconfig” in the Run dialog box. In this window, under Services, you can “hide all Microsoft services”. You can also go to the Startup tab and disable some of the startup items which are having “High Startup Impact”. Some other start up items can interfere with Windows updates. Then you need to disable them also irrespective of “Medium” or “Low”.
Restart the PC and check if the updates are able to download and install. If the problem still continues, then there are some startup-applications which are causing the error code 0x80245006. Once you find any startup item or service is causing problem, you can disable or update it, to permanently resolve the issue.
You can also uninstall any recently installed apps to check if that is causing the issue.
6. SFC and DISM tools are provided by Microsoft as part of Windows. The error 0x80245006 can be caused by corrupted system files. You can fix this problem by performing some scans. These commands are as follows. They should be entered in elevated command prompt.
Input the above command and press “Enter” key. If the issue is resolved its ok. Otherwise you have to use the DISM tool.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
and press Enter.
See if the problem is resolved and try to run SFC again, if its not solved.
In my case, restarting the BITS service helped remove the update error 0x80245006. If this error is not resolved, some websites may not open in Chrome browser. You also may face other issues like system hanging up and LAN settings in Internet connections disabled etc. So it is better to rectify the error first, then try to download and install the updates again.
This should fix many of the other problems caused by Windows updates not installing. Also it is very important from security point of view that the new updates get installed from time to time. Microsoft generally releases these Updates during Tuesday and they are like patches. If there are any bugs, issues, errors in the earlier release they are rectified. So I hope you will be able to rectify this error code 0x80245006 through any of the above mentioned 6 means.
Please comment if your error is resolved or still face the issue. I will try to help in this matter.