There must be annoying times when you boot your Windows 7, you don’t see your system icons like volume, network, power, action centre, clock etc. in your notification area (system tray). Though you may get them back again by opening System Icons from the Control Panel and changing the behaviour to On.
But doing it everytime is a tedious task, so “Trishtech” suggests a registry hack. All you have to do is make some registry changes and re-boot the system. Your problem of system icons becoming invisible in the notification area is solved.
1. Open Windows Registry Editor by clicking on the Start Menu, typing regedit and pressing Enter.
2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key :
3. Select the values labeled IconStream and PastIconsStream by clicking on them and then click the Delete key on your keyboard to delete these values. You can also right-click on these values and then select Delete from the right-click menu.
4. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
If this doesn’t solve your problem, you may need to make few more changes.
- Open Control Panel.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to View by and select Small Icons.
- In the page, click on Notification Area Icons and click on Turn system icons on or off.
- This will open the System Icons page. Now you can set the behaviours of different system icons to On.
- Now, if required restart the system and the changes should be permanent.
This will solve your problem of system icons disappearing in the Notification area in Windows 7.