The profile picture is not showing in Skype Business, but is showing in Outlook and other Office 365 products. The reason is very simple. By default Skype for Business hides the picture. So you just have to check the option that says “Show my picture” under My Picture options.
This could be a trivial issue. But when you are in a office environment, most of your colleagues would like to identify you by your picture yourself. Though they see your name, it looks unaesthetic to the users for the contacts in your Skype list.
Table of Contents
But you need to check few other things if the above fix does not work for you.
1. The best size to upload for a profile picture in Skype for Business is 96×96 pixels. Make sure it is uploaded correctly.
2. You must see your Skype profile picture in other Office 365 apps like Outlook, Word etc. Otherwise, something is wrong with the picture size or upload process.
3. Make sure your contacts can see the profile picture you uploaded.
4. The most important thing is that, it should be visible in the “Preview” section.
If still the picture is not updating in skype for business, then you need to check a few system folders, erase a few and and apply a few commands. Another reason for this issue can be found in Microsoft Outlook. There is a certain option in its settings panel which may be disabled. Once you enable this option, skype for business picture not updating error can be resolved.
There are other troubleshooting steps that you can try if the above simple solution does not fix.
1. Sign out the Skye for Business client. Delete the browser cookies and sign-in information stored on your Exchange server.
2. Sign-in again and check if the problem is resolved.
3. If that does not work out , the open the Run bar in Windows.
4. Type %AppData% in it.
5. Generally, it will take you to “Roaming” folder.
6. Just go one directory less and make sure you are in the AppData directory.
7. Then Navigate to \Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\ for Skype for Business .
8. Delete the sip_profileName folder. If you cannot find it here, you can check it in \Local\Microsoft\Communicator directory.
9. Erase all the files in the Tracing folder. Don’t delete the folder.
10. Clear the DNS by using this command ipconfig /flushdns in the elevated command prompt.
This is one of the other solution which will fix the problem.
Also make sure that you can see your profile pic in the Outlook Web App.
It can be a weird kind of solution when your picture does not show in Outlook, Lync or Skype. This happens from Outlook 2010 version onwards. This solution can be applied to the Office 365 applications also.
Generally, when you send email or using Skype, contact photos should be displayed beside your name. But if they are not, you can resolve this issue in this fashion.
1. In Outlook (2010,13,16) open the File > Options.
2. Select People or Contacts depending on your versio of Outlook.
3. Enable the option on the right side that says “Show user photographs when available“.
4. Click OK.
5. Restart Outlook or Skype for Business.
You can also change through Group Policy Editor settings.
- Type gpedit.msc in the Run box. This will open the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC).
- Under User Configuration > Administrative templates you will see Microsoft Office xxxx node. Where xxxx stands for 2016, 2013 or 2010.
- Navigate to Contact Card under this.
- On the right hand side pane, you will see the “Do not display photograph“.
- If it’s enabled, then that is the issue.
- Make it either disable or Not configured and click OK button.