Do you own a Windows Phone like Lumia 520? And, before that you might have had an Samsung Android phone.
Now, you try to sync contacts, calendars and documents from Android phone to your Windows mobile!
During this process you get “imap gmail com :993:1” error and the sync process stops. How do you fix it?
One solution is to take a backup of all such items. Then import them to your Windows phone.
Otherwise, you can sync your objects to a server, using your Google or Microsoft account. Then resync with your Nokia mobile again. If you have used an Android phone earlier, then you are most likely to use a Gmail address as your sync account.
- 1 Simplicity of using Gmail Imap in your Android Mobile!
- 2 The main problem lies in the security permissions of your Google account.
- 3 Some simple remedy measure can be tried, before you implement the below solutions.
- 4 Case #1 – You use 2-step verification process in your Gmail login access
- 5 Case #2 – You use simple login access to your Gmail account.
- 6 How to Solve “Imap Gmail Com” Error in Case #1?
- 7 How to Generate and Apply this App Password?
- 8 How to Solve “Imap Gmail Com” Error in Case #2?
- 9 Conclusion
Simplicity of using Gmail Imap in your Android Mobile!
You can add your contacts to your Android phone. Then use your Gmail email accounts to sync to server.
But there is a catch!
For example, you dumped your new Samsung or Panasonic phone having Android for a Lumia 550 Windows 10 mobile. Then you need to enter all your friends and relatives contact details again.
This can be a boring task. If you have a high number of contacts like more than 500 or 1000, it may take a day or two.
But Gmail Imap comes as a savior in this type of situation. All you have to do is just add your Google account with the Gmail password and login in the new Nokia phone. Now your contacts are automatically synced or imported.
But there is one problem. The following error may crop up, when you add an Google account in Windows phones.
Google account info is incorrect. Update your account info for imap.gmail.com:993:1 and tap Save.
One may also get an Error code: 0x80072f0d. You might have already entered your Gmail password and checked your imap setting several times, thinking that your login credentials are wrong. But that is not the cause of this error!
The main problem lies in the security permissions of your Google account.
Yes, the thing that worked in Android phones will not work in Windows phones, that simple. You have to make some changes to your Imap Account settings, before you enter your sign-up details.
Some simple remedy measure can be tried, before you implement the below solutions.
- All Windows Embedded HandHeld devices may not support SHA2. This is the encryption used for mail certificates. Make sure that the mobile has all the latest updates. Then try configuring the Gmail account again.
- You may need to verify your mobile with Google using the web. For this you can do two things –
- You can login and logout of your Gmail account on the Windows mobile using a web browser.
- One can unlock the CAPTCHA on the device concerned using a browser. The details of how to do it can be seen here – http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=14257&rd=1. You may also need an application specific password created inside the Google account.
- If this doesn’t help, check if your device is not checking for mail server, for account details not less than 10 or 15 minutes.
- If all the above steps fail, you can try to add the Gmail Imap account manually. See the details here – http://www.wpxbox.com/manually-configure-imap-email/.
There are basically 2 kinds of cases, in which you encounter the “imap.gmail.com:993:1” error.
Case #1 – You use 2-step verification process in your Gmail login access
Case #2 – You use simple login access to your Gmail account.
How to Solve “Imap Gmail Com” Error in Case #1?
For this you need an application specific password. This App password is necessary to login in your Windows phone like Lumia 520 without any permission error. Generally, in a 2-step verification process you will need some codes (which are generally sent to your mobile) to access your account. However, these codes will not work with clients like Outlook.
For this purpose, you have to generate an app password for your Windows mobile device, for the first-time you sign-in. This is a 16-digit passcode which your Microsoft device will remember from next time onwards.
How to Generate and Apply this App Password?
The following steps will help you.
- Sign-in into your Google account. Then visit the App passwords page. https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords.
- At the bottom of the page, you find “Select app” and “Select device” options.
- “Select app” you can choose items like Mail, Contacts, Calendars etc or any other custom item.
- “Select device” you can select Windows phone.
- Click the button “Generate”.
- Go to your Windows mobile and enter the 16-digit pass code in the appropriate field.
- Click “Done”.
This is only required once for initial authorization. The Windows 10 or 8.1 or 8 phone will remember the next time, you access your account or contact details.
How to Solve “Imap Gmail Com” Error in Case #2?
The Google account you add in your Windows phone comes under as a less secure app. You have to enable the “Access for less secure apps” option for this kind of Gmail account.
Otherwise, you can also enable it in this fashion.
So if you are not using 2-factor authorization, then you need to login to your Gmail account. Then click “My Account” at the top right corner. Then navigate through “Sign-in & Security” > Connected apps & sites > Allow less secure apps.
You just have to toggle this option to ON. By default this is OFF.
This is very important if you want to transfer your contacts from Android to Windows phone. Otherwise, you will keep getting application error when you try to add the Google account in your Windows 8 or 8.1 phone.
You can also use the “Unlock Captcha” method to gain access to Google account in Windows phone. You just have to access this link – https://accounts.google.com/b/0/displayunlockcaptcha and click Continue.
You can also try signing out of your Google account in your Windows device in a browser. Then you can re-login again.
The above YouTube shows the process of how you can rectify the Google account error in Windows Lumia 520.
One of the 4 cases above should solve your problem of “imap.gmail.com:993:1” not working. I personally faced this problem on my Lumia 520 and initially scratched my head what was wrong. I rechecked my login credentials several times, but the same error crops up every time.
Only when I enabled the less secure apps option in Google account, the Windows mobile accepted the login credentials.
If you like this solution or fix, please comment in the section below. Please let me know if you were able to solve this problem on your Windows phone. Does this fix apply to other phones like Lumia 530, 620, 625, 630, 635, 638, 720, 730 etc.?
Please share this solution, if it helps you.