There are about 200 million active users who have purchased either a SharePoint on-premises license or subscribed to Microsoft 365 plans in which SharePoint Online is present.
Many businesses have been using SharePoint since it was launched in 2001. The on-premises SharePoint data can amass a great size as there can be many site collections, libraries, and documents.
So, SharePoint on-premises can be affected by the size limitation of the hardware. But SharePoint Online does not have such limitations. So, many organizations like to move their data to the cloud. SharePoint Online has a storage size of multiple terabytes that can be expanded further.
Your primary task is to select a SharePoint migrator tool that supports an on-premises SharePoint to SharePoint Online migration and provides features that can handle such a complex procedure.
Thankfully, we checked some of the prominent tools, and in this article, we will discuss their pros and cons. You can compare their features and select the tool suitable for you.
1. Microsoft SharePoint Migration tool (SPMT)
As freeware, Microsoft’s SharePoint Migration tool has all the basic user features and functions to migrate SharePoint data. It supports the following versions as the source platforms –
- SharePoint Foundation (2010,2013).
- SharePoint Server (2010, 2013, and 2016).
The tool will migrate the primary data and their permissions, versions, features, web parts, metadata, taxonomy, navigation, icons, and descriptions.
- Moves SharePoint data from local and network file shares too.
- Allows the user to determine which file version is to migrate.
- Supports incremental migration.
- ‘Out-of-the-box’ sites are migrated.
- Does not support older versions of SharePoint.
- Windows Authentication mode is supported.
- Office 365, run by 21Vianet in China, does not have access to SPMT.
2. Kernel Migrator for SharePoint – Migrate SharePoint On Prem to Online
It is a well-known professional migrator tool from KernelApps. It supports all the versions of SharePoint and migrates them directly to SharePoint Online. All SharePoint items like sites, lists, metadata, public folder, workflow, form, and Teams are supported for migration. Also, there are many options in each step of the migration.
- Selects multiple SharePoint sites for migration in one go.
- Runs a pre-migration analysis for all the SharePoint environments.
- Provides a scheduler to select a suitable time to start the migration.
- A simple user interface to select the account and log in.
- Uses a CSV file for bulk migration.
- Requires proper permissions to access SharePoint sites.
- Only a SharePoint Administrator can conduct a bulk migration.
You can easily migrate SharePoint On prem to online with few steps.
3. DELL Migration Suite for SharePoint
The specialized suite from the computer giant migrates data to and fro between SharePoint platforms. It can move all the content to SharePoint Online or another on-premises deployment. Through bulk migration, it can migrate individual sites, site collections, lists, libraries, web parts, and other information. It also facilitates a selective migration of the necessary data.
- Runs a pre-migration analysis on the source SharePoint data.
- Migrates multiple lists and libraries simultaneously.
- Maintains, migrates, and reassigns metadata after the migration.
- Synchronizes post-migration updates to maintain accuracy.
- Troubleshooting is difficult.
- No rollback features after wrong migration.
4. ShareGate SharePoint Migration tool
ShareGate SharePoint migration tool is a subscription-based service that migrates the SharePoint content smartly. It supports all the versions of SharePoint from the latest 2019 to the oldest 2003. It helps you check a pre-migration analysis report showing possible outcomes for each object; it allows clearing the gaps, editing metadata, correcting links, and organizing destination SharePoint.
- Runs independently on the server.
- There are two migration modes – Normal mode and Insane mode.
- Runs numerous migration sessions at once.
- Creates an audit trail to keep track of ongoing migration jobs.
- Migrates incremental data.
- Files exceeding 2 GB of size will not migrate.
- It does not detect bad or missing objects in the destination where you are migrating the data.
- It cannot migrate the web app from the source SharePoint site.
5. AvePoint SharePoint Migration platform
It is another migration platform that does not require installation on the system. It lets you create an account and buy a subscription to migrate the SharePoint content. There are customizable settings that you can use to manage the migration according to your requirement.
- Pre-scanning to check the faulty, incomplete, and illegal data from SharePoint.
- Closely monitors the ongoing migration process.
- High-speed migration.
- Flexible Office 365 settings options.
- Does not support older versions of SharePoint.
Adopting the cloud version of SharePoint can be an overwhelming task for a business manager as the SharePoint on-premises data can be enormous in size due to extensive usage over multiple years. You require proper planning and a professional tool to migrate the site collections, list & libraries, and other web parts.