Windows 10 introduced a new browser in the form of Microsoft Edge. To personalize browsing experience, store bookmarks, import browser data, sync passwords and payment methods, you need to create a profile.
If you are using different email accounts on your Windows 10 device, then you need a new profile for each one.
Edge is also available on macOS, Android and iOS. At school, work or home, you can use this Chromium based browser. If you sync all your browser activity to the same personal profile, then it can create some privacy concerns.
Manager at your office can snoop into your browsing activity if you have one Edge profile for all uses.
At the same time, office activity files should not bombard your personal work space.
Since Edge also suggests news and other personalized ads based on your user experience, you need separate profiles for school, home and office.
Your other family members may use the same Windows 10 and other devices. If they all use Microsoft accounts, you can create a family group for them. Different Edge profile is necessary for child and parent accounts.
When you create multiple user profiles on the same Windows 10, you have the privilege to open email and other third-party application links in the required profile. Microsoft Edge version 81 and higher version has this feature.
Also, automatic profile switching is available with Microsoft Edge version 83 and higher.
In this tutorial, we are going to see how to add a profile, switch to a different one and remove it, if required.
Table of Contents
How to Add a Profile in Microsoft Edge of Windows 10
Time needed: 2 minutes.
This will show you how to create a profile to personalize and remember your browser activity of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.
- Click the profile icon at the top right-hand corner of Edge browser.
- Click on “Add profile”
- You can also navigate to – edge://settings/profiles in the address bar.
- This will open a new Microsoft Edge session in Windows 10
- Click on “Sign in to sync data”. Otherwise, click on “Confirm” to create a raw profile.
- Then, you need to sign into your Microsoft account (Email, phone or Skype) or Work or School account. Phone works for US and Canada users only. Click on “Continue”.
- Enter the Microsoft account credentials.
Once you enter these details, you are asked permission to sync browser data across all your signed-in devices. Also, advertising preferences for getting personalized ads can also be set here. If you want privacy, you can disable it here itself.
- Verify your email account once again
To securely access Store apps, you need to create either Windows Hello Face, Fingerprint or PIN. If it’s already set up, you need to re-verify your account. For example, I’ve verified using PIN.
- That’s it, your profile is created. You can view it in the main session, along with other profiles.
How to Switch Profile of Microsoft Edge
- Under “More Profiles”, you can see the button that says “Switch”.
- Click it.
- A new Edge session opens with this profile.
- The primary session still has the old profile.
Now you have two sessions of Microsoft Edge on the same Windows 10 device. This is like dual apps in mobile phones.
How to Remove Profile in Microsoft Edge
- To delete a profile, you first need to switch or make it as the default profile.
- Beside the profile name, click the three dots.
- Click on “Remove”.
This should delete the required profile.