Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is among-st the widely recognized exams in the world. TOEFL is the essential test that is intended to measure the English language skills of the non-native speakers. It is designed and administered by the Educational Testing Service.
TOEFL is a four-hour computerized test,which consists of four sections: reading, listening, speaking and writing. The exam lasts about 3,5-4 hours.There is a 10-minute break after the first two sections; the break is followed by the speaking and writing units. The exam is designed in-paper-based and Internet-based formats.
The most interesting thing about the exam is that it is entirely devoid of any syllabus. Thus it is not advised to the candidates to refer to any particular subject with regard to the preparation for TOEFL 2018.
The results of the TOEFL test are accepted by more than ten thousands of institutes, which are spread across more than 130 countries.
Therefore, passing the TOEFL exam with good marks is going to open the door to an immense number of opportunities. However, you must keep in mind that TOEFL is a paid testwhen you are applying to the US.
We all want to have a great score when it comes to passing any exam, because, in this case, the chances of getting accepted into a good school or university are doubled. Here are some tips that you can use in order to score a good result:
- You must prepare well. This is not something that needs explicit mention, but by saying “prepare well”, we are trying to emphasize the fact that you need to take as many practice tests as possible from sites like ExamSnap.com. To become familiar with the test framework and question pattern you may spend up to six months. You should devote enough time to prepare and perform well on the exam.
- Read, read and read! It is expected of you to read all that will fall into your hands.Thus, you are going to become comfortable with all the categories of articles. Most importantly, it is going to allow you to enhance your vocabulary and this is certainly what you need now.
- Comfort-ability in typing is a must. If you have decided to take the TOEFL exam, you will need to type your essay on a computer. If you are not good at typing, your scores will suffer even if you know what to write. Therefore, practice.
- This tip is for your test day:relax. A massive amount of test takers give up because they are unable to stand the pressure. It is important to understand that you can take the test as many times as you like. So don’t strain, even if you did not manage to pass the exam on the first try.
Since we all want to score decent marks on the TOEFL exam, we must equip ourselves with the best preparation materials so that we are guided in a proper direction.It is also helpful to develop a strategy to prepare for the test effectively.
Below is a list of materials that you could incorporate in your preparation without having any doubts.
Best books to prepare for TOEFL
- The official guide to the TOEFL test–this is the official book, which has been introduced by ETS. This guide should remain one of your go-to options because it has been launched by the company, which has initiated the exam.
- The book contains the official information and will provide you with reliable questions and answers for your preparation. The only con that you are likely to face while using this tutorial is that it does not offer a lot of strategies to prepare for TOEFL.If you are seeking for strategies, you can find it in some other book.
- Barron’s Essential Words for the TOEFL –the book consists of the words most commonly occurring on the TOEFL exam. Following each word, you can find its definition along with the example sentences it could be used in.Thus, you can understand the context better.The book doesn’t include the flashcards, but in place of that, there are other ways in which you can enhance your vocabulary.
- Official TOEFL iBT tests Volume 1 and Volume 2–you already know that you have to appear for practice tests if you want to do well on the exam; therefore, this book is going to help you solve all your problems.
However,it is recommended that the practice tests that you take are administered online so that you face no problem as TOEFL is a computerized exam.
Best website for TOEFL preparation
- ExamSnap – this website is one of the best online platforms in order to learn about TOEFL taking strategies. Some of these are going to be free while some of them are going to require you to pay for use. Useful and convenient, this site will save you a lot of time.
There are some other methods of preparation that you can rely on, for instance, you can make use of podcasts while you are on the run and this is going to help you stay occupied and productive.
So, above we have discussed the details of TOEFL you need to know to pass the test successfully. Now, let’s take a look at the tests that are likely to be encountered during your study and admission to a college or university.
More Famous Admission Tests
International English Language Testing System or IELTS is a test that is intended for the assessment of the English speaking ability of students. It is the entry-levelassessment that can help a candidate to get an admission to a college in the UK and some other countries.
Graduate Record Examinations or GRE is a basic admission test for school graduates that is conducted by Educational Testing Services. The test greatly impacts the future career of the students.
National Council Licensure Examination or NCLEX is a nationwide test that is used to determine whether the student has knowledge and skills needed to be an entry-level nurse. NCLEX-PN is an exam for Practical Nurses.
Similar to NCLEX-PN, NCLEX RN is used for medical students who want to be nurses. This exam is intended for Registered Nurses.
Test of Essential Academic Skills or TEAS is a test that is used to determine whether the students possess the necessary academic skills to enter health science programs.
Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test or PSAT is used by the students who are intended in passing SAT exam. Basically, PSAT is a practice test for the future SAT assessment.
Well, here are the most common tests. The student can encounter during the graduation and admission to the universities, colleges and schools. Don’t forget the preparation tips we mentioned above and there will be absolutely no problem for you to pass any test. We wish you luck on your exams!