If you are looking for a way to remove someone from messenger, you are at the proper tutorial.
The method to get rid of people on messenger has changed from 2018 to 2021. The best way to stop people from annoying you again in Messenger or Facebook is to “block” them.
It works for me in the current version also.
The Facebook interface keeps on changing. Integration with messenger and Instagram makes it difficult to understand how to delete people on messenger.
Update July 2021 –
The interface and settings of Messenger once again changed. To see the latest way to delete someone, follow the new tutorial.
It depends on your interest in blocking them on messenger or Facebook, or both.
Facebook and Messenger in 2021
Messenger is a chat service provided in Facebook. Access via the web or mobile.
There are lot of people – unknown, contact, friends, non-friends, business etc.
Friends on Facebook added as contacts in Messenger. You can switch off this option. Phone contacts also add up to your Messenger.
Using the mobile version of Messenger, you can add a contact with the help of a mobile number or email.
Marketplace in Facebook is an advertising platform selling lot of products. Sponsors will be sending message requests to chat with you. Even a person on your friend’s list can annoy you with a lot of unnecessary messages.
How to Remove Friends in Facebook
You can remove someone from messenger by doing an “unfriend” of your friend or block him or delete him from Facebook contacts.
Sometimes Facebook and Messenger seem to work as two different services. But there is some integration between them as the latter is part of it.
So if you want to delete someone from messenger in 2021, the ways are different based on the type of contact and kind of device used.
In this post, let’s see how to delete messenger contacts.
How to Remove Non-Friend from Messenger in 2021
In July 2021, the interface of Facebook Messenger once again changed. It is more similar to the 2018 format. To delete a contact follow these steps.
- Open the Messenger app. Tap on People tab at the bottom.
- Tap on the person icon at the top right hand corner. All people will be listed.
- Tap on info icon (i symbol) beside any contact you wish to remove.
- On the next screen, Tap on Remove Contact. This should delete non-friend from messenger.
How to Block Non-Friend on Messenger in 2021
- Steps 1 and 2 are same.
- Tap on the non-friend in your contact list.
- On the next screen, you should see his info and chat details.
- Tap on the i icon at the top right hand corner.
- Tap on Block on the next screen.
It will bring the familiar block screen on Messenger.
If you are friends on Facebook, then the only alternative is to block the contact.
How to Remove Someone from Messenger in 2021
Time needed: 4 minutes.
If you use messenger too much, you would like to unconnect with someone to reduce spam messages and too much information. You cannot remove the contact directly when you are Facebook friends. You can block on Messenger or Facebook.
- Open Facebook Messenger app on your mobile.
Tap on People at the bottom.
- Tap on the Person icon at the top right-hand corner.
Scroll through to find your contact. All Facebook and Messenger contacts are listed here.
- You cannot remove a friend in Messenger.
That option no more exists in the current interface.
- Tap on Facebook friend contact in your Messenger.
The contact details will be visible. Tap on the info icon (i symbol) at the top right.
- Tap Block on the next screen.
The options to remove someone from Messenger or Facebook are visible on the next step. Tap the – symbol beside block.
- Tap the – icon beside each option.
Tap Block on the next screen. This setting can block the contact on Facebook or Messenger. You can also unblock again.
What happens when you block Block Messages and Calls?
Your Facebook account will not receive any calls or messages from the blocked Facebook account.
Your friend’s account won’t be blocked on Facebook. You can still see his posts, comments, reactions on Facebook.
If you are in shared groups and rooms with this account, you will still see and communicate with each other. You can leave the room or group to stop commune with him.
What happens when you block on Facebook?
If you are friends, then blocking on Facebook will unfriend him. It will block even the messages and calls from that account.
How to Unfriend in Messenger in 2021
- Tap on the Facebook friend you want to remove.
- A pop-up opens with Facebook personal details.
- Tap on View Profile.
- Tap on View Profile on Facebook.
- the Facebook app will open.
- Tap the three horizontal dots below the profile pic at the right corner.
- Profile Settings will open.
- Tap on Friends, and a pop-up will open.
- Tap on Unfriend.
It will unfriend your friend on Facebook.
How to Remove a Facebook non-friend in 2021
Follow steps 1 – 7 as above.
Since you are not friends, only follow option is available.
8. Tap on Block. Confirm the setting.
It will stop him from seeing your posts on your timeline, tag you, invite you to events or groups, start a conversation with you and add you as a friend.
If you are already a friend, it will also unfriend him.
How to Delete Someone from Messenger in 2019 and 2020
In this year, the Messenger and Facebook app have a slightly different interface compared to last year.
Read More –
You can delete conversations of people added in Facebook and Messenger with a few clicks.
You can also block a contact in Messenger app who can be a friend or non-friend. Someone appears as a friend or contact in your chats panel in Messenger when he/she accepts your Friend request on Facebook.
How to Block Contact in Messenger
- Open Messenger app in Android.
- You can view all the contacts in Messenger and also imported from Facebook.
- Long press the contact your want to block.
- Three options appear now.
- Press the option with 3 lines.
- On the next pop-up screen, select “Block“.
- You can also press “Delete” to remove the contact and conversation history.
Note: Tap the recycle bin icon to remove the chat history with this friend or contact. If the contact is your friend, then you can block him both on Facebook and Messenger at the same time.
How to Block Non-Friend in Messenger
- Tap the contact you want to block or remove. (normal tap)
- In the next screen, you see an info (i) option at the top.
- Tap it.
- On the next screen select “Block” option
How to Unfriend Someone on Messenger
To remove people from messenger, you can either unfriend or block or delete them. Since Facebook and Messenger app are connected, we have to locate the profile of your friend to do this task.
- Open your Facebook Messenger. Switch to People screen. You can see your list of friends, people and contacts here. Tap your contact or person, you wish to unfriend.
- Tap the Info icon of your friend. You can enter the chat window of your friend. It will be shown that you are friends. Tap the “i” icon at the top right.
- View your friend contact details. Tap the profile icon to view further details of your friend in Messenger.
- Click the button that says “View Profile on Facebook“. This button will take you to the Facebook app. You can see your friend profile information on Facebook. This will open the further details.
- Tap the “Friends” option which is ticked. You can see that the contact in your messenger is listed as friends in Facebook. This option is directly not available in Messenger. This will open a pop-up screen.
- Tap the “Unfriend” option.
How To Remove Someone from Messenger in 2018 ?
Once you have made up your mind to delete a contact from Messenger in Android it is time to take action.
It is important that what type of contact you are removing – friend or non-friend. As the messenger list is populated with uploaded, non-friend, friend contacts, you cannot differentiate one from the other.
How to Delete “Unknown” or “Non-Friend” Contacts in Messenger
- Open the Messenger App in Android.
- Click on the contacts icon at the bottom.
- Then click the “All Contacts“. Or you can search for that particular contact.
- Beside each contact, there is an “i” symbol rounded. Click it.
- On the next screen you see “Remove contact“.
- Click it and he will be deleted from the list.
Note: The above interface and screenshots are taken from 2018. The latest images of 2019 in dark mode are mentioned above.
How to Delete Friend on Messenger
But if someone is your “friend” on Facebook, this option is not available in Android Messenger.
First you have to “unfriend” him and then remove that contact. Otherwise you can temporarily block that contact if you don’t want to unfriend him. So afterward if you want to chat or message him, you can again unblock him.
How to Remove All Contacts in Messenger
You can also delete all contacts uploaded or added from Facebook using the procedure mentioned above.
But as a warning as I mentioned, you need to unsync phone contacts. Otherwise, they may get added up to your messenger list again.
How to Find your Contacts in Messenger in Windows 10
There are different ways to find the Messenger App in your browser.
You can click the app icon at the top row beside the “Friend requests” icon.
When you click it you will see a list of contacts in Messenger. At the bottom you can see the label – “See all in Messenger”.
When you click it you can see all your messenger contacts.
When you click the Messenger icon, the contacts list is populated on the left hand side.
There is a gear icon which represents settings.
When you click it, you see further options.
One of the useful option is “Active contacts”.
So if you click it you can see who are all active on Messenger list.
You can also access Messenger from Facebook home page. On the left hand side it is available.
How to Delete Someone on Messenger [Completely] ?
The procedure involves 3-stage operation.
- Delete from Messenger
- Block all Messages
- Remove Contact from Facebook.
To complete this activity, follow these steps.
- Open the Messenger app from Facebook.
- Search for your friend, contact, person.
- Select the contact.
- Click the gear icon (settings).
- Click on “Block messages” label.
- Then click on “Delete” label.
- It will display a pop-up window – “Delete Conversation“.
- If you want your conversation also to be deleted, click “Delete“. Otherwise “Archive“.
- Now go to People app in Facebook and find your friend.
- Click the 3 dots beside “Friends“.
- Now click the “Unfriend” item.
- Logout from Facebook and login again.
I am mentioning this effort because even when you remove someone from messenger, he/she is still available as a contact in Facebook people app. So he is still be able to send messages to you. For that purpose you need to block them.
But when you search that name in Messenger list, it will show as a contact. For that purpose, if you unfriend him/her, you can be safe it doesn’t add back to messenger list again.
How to Remove Non-Friend from Messenger?
As you can see above, “Jeff Corpuz” is not a friend of mine in Facebook. But he has recently sent a message asking a question about SEO. But he appears in my messenger list.
The procedure is the same as to the process I shown above.
- Click the gear icon against that contact.
- You can see several options.
- Out of them , Delete and Block messages are relevant here.
- When you click Delete, this contact will be removed from messenger.
- The same is duplicated in your Messenger mobile app.
In future if I don’t want him to send messages to me, I can simply use the option “Block messages“. This will prevent him from adding to the messenger contact list again.
This is the conversation history I had when I chat with him in Messenger. But when I delete him, this will also be removed.
Delete Non-Friend Business Contact in Messenger
The above business contact had some chat with me in Messenger. But he is neither listed as a friend, nor found as a contact in Facebook. He is listed as a Business page. For this kind of contacts, there is no block messages option. You have only “Delete” option. This will also delete the conversation history.
How to Remove Phone Contacts in Facebook ?
When you are using mobile (Android or iOS), Messenger App may get access to phone contacts.
Generally this happens if you give access permission to Messenger to add your mobile contacts.
The contacts in Facebook who are added to Messenger, will now be clubbed with the phone contacts.
In another scenario if you import your Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook contacts into Messenger, the list keeps growing.
What do you do in such position? These are called “uploaded contacts”.
Remove Phone Contacts
- Go to this link – https://www.facebook.com/mobile/messenger/contacts/
- Click on “Delete All Contacts“.
It should remove all the contacts imported from Facebook or uploaded from email source or synced with mobile phone contacts.
Warning: If you go through the above screenshot there are two important points to note.
- You should “turn off the “Sync contacts” setting in the Messenger app.
- Turn off the “Continuous call and SMS matching” setting.
You could also see all the contacts you’ve uploaded from Facebook.
The process to delete someone from messenger on iPhone is a lot similar as shown in the web version. You can follow the guide given below, to delete a contact from Messenger in Android.
How to Unsync Facebook Contacts in iOS or iPhone ?
After removing the uploaded contacts using the web browser version of Messenger, they can keep coming up and sync to the contacts list again. In order to unsync them you can see the two below screenshots in iOS.
How to Block Contacts and Messages from Particular Users ?
Even after deleting a contact in Messenger, if somebody is sending you messages it is so annoying.
They keep coming in and they’ll clutter your contacts list. As the list grows, Messenger become slow and may also cause hang up.
In such cases there is a “blocking” option provided by Facebook.
But what happens when you block someone. Facebook has some special notes which will say how it gives access to contacts when you blocked someone.
You can also turn off your mobile search option in Facebook, using the “Privacy” setting mentioned above.
This will prevent someone from finding you on Messenger or Facebook using your mobile number. The same can be done with Email also.